Friday, December 17, 2010

Yi Xiang Bak Kut Teh @ AutoCity Juru Penang

Yesterday my hubby and I went to try out this new bak kut teh restaurant at AutoCity. The restaurant has a simple kopitiam-style ambience. Most of the waiters/waitresses there are part-time workers...probably there are 16+ years old. The customer service there was not favorable. This is because when my hubby was trying to pull a chair from another table for me with one hand on the phone, nobody give a helping hand. Most of the workers there just standing around, chit-chating, having fun and gigling among themselves. There was also this couple workers...(i think there are foreign workers)...the guy was forcefully pulling her and the lady worker was reluctant being pulled. They started from the kitchen entrance to the toilet then back to the kitchen entrance and finally the guy forcefully pulled her out of the restaurant towards the opposite flats......the guy looked fierce.....like harrassing her...Anyway, when we pay our bills, we mentioned this to the acting supervisor which I think in his early 20s and he just say sorry........Besides that, the waitress that served us do not really know how to recommend the food in the restaurant especially when we ask her how many pieces of spare ribs there is in a boil....she just replied..."I don't know"....Price here a bit higher compare to other bak kut teh stalls around Penang.



Spare Ribs RM10.50 The meat is tender but a bit tasteless.
                      
Meat Ball RM4.50 The meat balls were small and not springy, taste average

Dou Kee (Fu Zhu - Fried beancurd sheet) RM3.00


Yu Mark (Lettuce) RM5.00


The portioned here is relatively small..

All the bak kut teh soup is the same regardless of what ingredients in it and they don't allow you to mix and match the ingredients. The bak kut teh soup was thick and smooth  and a bit sweet but very lack of the herb fragrant and taste. For me, it probably contain quite a lot of MSG and my tongue felt numb after that. As you can see in the photos, the bowl that used to serve the bak kut teh ingredients is relatively shallow. The food is served on a burner.

P.S. They have other branch like in Macalister Road - http://eatlah.blogspot.com/2010/10/yi-xiang-bak-kut-teh-macalister-road.html

7 comments:

  1. i went there before,but the manager there is very helpful n friendly.you should look for him to complain it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been there many times, and they serve us very well as well as the Bak Kut Teh's taste. Thick + delicious. Can't find in Penang.
    What i can say is THUMPS UP ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just went last week and is going again today! Why? I find that it is the best around , good taste , nice cool ambient and easy parking for cars. I bet they use grade A pork bcos I am sensitive to 'pork smell' that is normally present in lower grade pork. Try cook and taste a pot of pork soup from Tesco vs the market and you should know what I mean.

    Oops, I am not marketing for Tesco nor Yi Xiang.Trust me , I love pork and is selective , you see.

    Have a great day folks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Price of pork from Tesco is I think double that outside. Well, it is grade A pork, antibiotic and growth hormone free. That is what you pay for ! I rather eat less and enjoy the quality !

    ReplyDelete
  5. ouch!! if you think this bah-kut-teh is good. i think you don't know how to eat. It taste terrible. Not like a bah-kut-teh at all. My wife and i try it once and we won't go back there. Service is terrible also.
    You want a better bah-kut-teh, try the "Burma-Road - Green House", much cheaper and nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 我吃了很多次..
    我觉得很美味=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this BKT very much. The place is nice, no worry about the parking space. Taste nice & price OK. Good.
    It's near my factory. I always been there with my foreign customers, they are happy & like it very much. It's special taste & style for them in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete